The Premier League document which reveals Newcastle United contract extensions BEFORE club official announcement

Newcastle United are yet to officially announce their Premier League retained list or any news of contract extensions and releases – although the Premier League have saved them the bother.

Tuesday, 22nd June 2021, 11:33 am
Updated Tuesday, 22nd June 2021, 11:33 am

A document on the Premier League website reveals the updated contract status of every United player and while there are very few surprises, there are some notable confirmations.

The document, which can be read here and was originally released on June 4, states that Dwight Gayle is now contracted to Newcastle United.

While players who have extended their deals recently, or have an offer to consider from the club have that marked against their name, Gayle does not.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Dwight Gayle  of Newcastle reacts during the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Arsenal at St. James Park on May 02, 2021 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.
Dwight Gayle of Newcastle reacts during the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Arsenal at St. James Park on May 02, 2021 in Newcastle upon Tyne, England.

Gayle’s old United deal came to an end this summer, and while a club announcement had been awaited on the new deal he is understood to have penned before the end of the season, the Premier League have now confirmed the striker is on the books for next season, and potentially beyond.

There was also some talk about Jacob Murphy’s deal coming to an end this summer, although it had also been rumoured he had another year to run. Either way, Murphy has also been listed as contracted, with no caveat placed next to his name.

Two other players widely reported to have signed new deals are Paul Dummett and Fabian Schar. Both are listed as ‘extended’ on the Premier League retained list.

The duo are understood to have seen clauses in their contracts triggered, activating another year at St James’ Park.

One player who is yet to extend their deal, according to the Premier League, is Federico Fernandez, with the player said to have an offer from the club.

The Argentine’s contract is up at the end of June.

On June 1, NUFC confirmed they’d offered contract extensions to five young players playing under-23 football last season.

The Premier League list confirms three of those players have extended their stay – Oisin McEntee, Ryan Barrett and Mo Sangare – while the word ‘offer’ remains against the names of Will Brown and Adam Wilson.

Interestingly, the word offer also sits against the names of Jude Swailes and Yannick Toure, both of whom were said to have been released by United.

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor