This is Steve Bruce's full response to 'nonsense' claim at Newcastle United

Steve Bruce has dismissed a claim of a behind-the-scenes disagreement with Allan Saint-Maximin as “nonsense”.

Wednesday, 4th March 2020, 6:15 am

Bruce went on the attack after Newcastle United reached the quarter-finals of the FA Cup for the first time in 14 years last night thanks to a 3-2 win over West Bromwich Albion.

It had been reported before the tie at The Hawthorns that he had had a “fallout” with Saint-Maximin, who was left out of the starting XI against Burnley at the weekend.

Bruce said the winger had been left out because of a hamstring problem. However, it was claimed on the eve of the cup tie that Saint-Maximin had been fit enough to start the Premier League fixture.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Steve Bruce.

The 22-year-old was recalled to the starting XI at The Hawthorns, where Miguel Almiron netted twice and Valentino Lazaro also found the net.

Head coach Bruce said: “Allan was a doubt. There was nonsense written that I’ve had a fall-out with him, but he didn’t train on Sunday and we were wary of him.

“You always have to be wary with the two hamstring injuries he’s had, and he was sore on Thursday. That made my mind up not to risk him, but he trained well (on Monday), and declared himself right. He’s a great talent. Since he walked through the door, we could all see that.”

Saint-Maximin, signed last summer from Nice, set up two of United's goals against West Brom.

Allan Saint-Maximin.