Tottenham weigh up second move for Newcastle’s Ayoze Perez after summer knockback

Ayoze Perez, centre
Ayoze Perez, centre

Newcastle United’s resolve to hold on to Ayoze Perez will be tested in January – as Tottenham Hotspur intend to renew their interest in the forward.

Perez scored in Sunday’s 6-2 win over Norwich City at St James’s Park.

And the 22-year-old, a revelation last season after his move from Tenerife, is preparing for Sunday’s Wear-Tyne derby against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

But had Mauricio Pochettino had his way, then Perez would now be a Tottenham player.

Pochettino was interested in signing Perez last summer, but Newcastle blocked a move.

However, Spurs are understood to be considering a January move for Perez, who is forging a partnership up front with new signing Aleksandar Mitrovic, also on target against Norwich.

There was interest from Tottenham, especially Pochettino. It’s a very nice compliment for me. In the end it did not work because Newcastle considered me too important and would not let me leave.

Ayoze Perez

Perez spoke about Tottenham’s interest after the transfer window closed.

“There was interest from Tottenham, especially Pochettino,” said Perez, who cost United just £1.5million.

“It’s a very nice compliment for me. In the end it did not work because Newcastle considered me too important and would not let me leave.”

Perez, however, has given no indication that he wants to leave United.

And he took to Twitter to joyfully dedicate the Norwich win to the club’s fans after the match, the club’s first win of the Premier League campaign.

Perez tweeted: “YEEEEES! The win is for the fans! The first of many! Congrats.”

The Spain Under-21 international, signed as one for the future, made an immediate impact last season.

Perez, fast-tracked to the first team, netted seven league goals.

Speaking last month, he said: “I have to keep working. My first year was a really good year and I hope this one will be the same or better.”