Watford 1 Newcastle United 0: Fans turn on Thauvin and Ashley during FA Cup defeat

Ayoze Perez
Ayoze Perez

Newcastle United fans voiced their anger as the club was dumped out of the FA Cup this afternoon.

A goal from Troy Deeney booked Watford a place in the fourth round of the competition.

And Newcastle's 2,809-strong support reacted angrily to the relegation-threatened club's fourth successive 1-0 defeat.

They chanted "you're nothing special, we lose every week", "we're s***, and we're sick of it" and "we want Newcastle back" at Vicarage Road.

There was also a chant against owner Mike Ashley.

Head coach Steve McClaren had made just one change to his team, with Kevin Mbabu having replaced the injured Jack Colback.

And his team played well in the first half, but United, yet again, just couldn't take their chances.

Ayoze Perez and Aleksandar Mitrovic missed first-half opportunities, while Mbabu, Georginio Wijnaldum and Daryl Janmaat had efforts saved by Heurelho Gomes.

And Deeney seized on a misplaced pass from Wijnaldum before the break to put Watford into the lead.

There was no way back for Newcastle in the second half, and the mood in the away end darkened as the final whistle approached.

Fans chanted at substitute Florian Thauvin that he was "not fit to wear the shirt".

There was also a chant of "we want our money back".

The club has not got beyond the fourth round of the competition since Ashley bought the club nine years ago.

McClaren's 18th-placed side return to Premier League action on Tuesday night when they entertain Manchester United at St James's Park.

WATFORD: Gomes; Nyom, Cathcart, Prdl, Holebas; Watson, Guedioura; Berghuis (Abdi, 63), Deeney, Jurado (Ighalo, 73); Oulare (Anya, 46). Subs not used: Arlauskis, Britos, Capoue, Ibarbo.

NEWCASTLE UNITED: Elliot; Mbemba, Coloccini (Lascelles, 46), Dummett; Janmaat, Sissoko, Tiote (de Jong, 82), Wijnaldum, Mbabu (Thauvin, 52); Perez, Mitrovic. Subs not used: Darlow, Sterry, Gouffran, Toney.

Goal: Deeney 44

Bookings: Tiote 37, Guedioura 83

Referee: Roger East (Wiltshire)

Attendance: 18,259 (2,809)