Jarrow Roofing boss rues dropped points against Dunston

NO PANIC ... Richie McLoughlin.
NO PANIC ... Richie McLoughlin.

RICHIE McLoughlin admits it’s a case of “two points dropped” rather than one gained in the wake of their goalless draw against Dunston UTS.

Chances were at a premium at a freezing Boldon CA Sports Ground as two of the division’s high-fliers cancelled each other out and seemed content with trying to control the midfield rather than carving out any openings in the final third.

And although Roofing have moved up to third in the Ebac Northern League Division One, McLoughlin sees it as a missed opportunity.

“Obviously we will take a point as it keeps us moving up the table,” he said.

“However, I think if you look at the chances we created and the possession we had, it is two points dropped.

“Dunston were strong and well organised and we knew it was going to be a battle if we wanted to get the win. They frustrated us and got a lot of men behind the ball, so that limited our threat going forward.

“But we’ve had a couple of shots blocked off the line and Lewis Teasdale hit the post early on, so while we feel we should have got the win, we will take the draw and keep moving forward.”

The home side started the game brightly and should have been ahead within the opening four minutes. Teasdale found himself in acres of space in the right of the area, and when the ball came trickling to the forward after Dunston failed to clear their lines, the striker could only crash his first-time shot off the post.

The rest of the half was a cagey affair as the two sides struggled to adapt to the difficult conditions. Lee McAndrew flashed a shot wide of Andy Hunter’s post from 20 yards in Dunston’s only real attempt at goal, resulting in a quiet afternoon for the ‘keeper.

Corey Barnes put in an excellent display after the restart, stretching the Dunston defence by bombing forward from his full-back position to add some much needed bite to a struggling home attack. And on 72 minutes the youngster’s impressive play almost led to the opening goal.

The 22-year-old found himself in an advanced position down the right, and after holding off his markers he played a perfect pass to the feet of Danny Carson.

The winger held up play before clipping the ball over the backtracking visiting defence and on to the chest of Malky Morien, but before the towering forward could pull the trigger, Andrew Clark came rushing out to get his body in the way.

Roofing had numerous penalty shouts waved away in the second half, much to the fury of McLoughlin. First Jamie Marshall was brought down by a high boot, then Teasdale saw his close-range shot blocked off the line by a hand, following a goalmouth scramble.

“We could have had a few penalties in the game, but they didn’t go our way,” McLoughlin said.

“We are disappointed but those decisions have gone for us a few times this season. I can’t fault the lads, they gave it their all and now we have to move on.”

Morien wasted a glorious chance to steal the points in the final seconds as he guided his free header from Marshall’s right wing cross wide of the target in the six-yard box.

However, McLoughlin agreed the draw was the “right result” in the end.

Roofing face a tough away trip tomorrow as they travel to 13th-placed Whitley Bay.

Twitter: @shieldsgazsport