Jarrow Roofing leave it late before beating Bedlington Terriers

Shaun Vipond was on target for Roofing at Bedlington
Shaun Vipond was on target for Roofing at Bedlington

Jarrow Roofing notched a Northern League Division One win at Bedlington Terriers to halt a slide that had brought defeats in their previous two league games.

Having won 2-1 at second division Darlington RA in midweek, the game at Bedlington matched that scoreline which also failed to reflect the supremacy that Roofing had in the game.

Despite falling behind to Marc Walton’s opener, Roofing were bothered little in the game, and the pairing of Shaun Vipond and Kieran Wrightson in the centre of midfield continues to develop into a partnership that controls the pace of the game.

With John Campbell and Paul Chow struggling to get going, and with Lewy Teasdale suspended, the Roofers were unusually sluggish in the final third, despite enjoying much of the possession. And after Walton’s opener, it was a case of getting the job done to ensure all three points went to the South Tynesiders.

That opener came after 12 minutes when John Pendlebury struck a low, long-range shot that bobbled along harmlessly before being intercepted by Walton on the edge of the Roofing box. The forward, left unmarked by Anth Myers, turned and shot past Dan Regan giving the keeper no chance.

Roofing’s equaliser on the half hour was a finely worked goal, indicative of the way the team tried to keep passing on a surface prepared to hinder any ground passes, with long grass preventing quick movement of the ball.

Wrightson collected the ball in midfield and sprayed it out left to Adam Rundle. The winger attacked his man and crossed to the penalty spot where Campbell, with his back to goal, laid the ball back off to Vipond. The midfielder took one touch to steady himself and then struck a low shot into the bottom corner from 22-yards out.

Bedlington keeper, Frazer Nairn, was having to get palms and knuckles on a number of crosses as Roofing pushed on in the second half, yet it seemed that a chance to win the game wouldn’t arrive.

That was until Alex White pushed forward to join in an attacking move with 13 minutes remaining. Campbell got free down the right and his deep cross fell for the arrival of Roofing’s captain who thumped his shot back across Nairn and into the top corner to give his team the points which moved Roofing up three places in the table to 14th spot.