Jarrow Roofing spot on to make cup progress in shoot-out

Jarrow Roofing's Calvin Smith fired a spectacular opener last night
Jarrow Roofing's Calvin Smith fired a spectacular opener last night

Jarrow Roofing progressed into the second round of the Brooks Mileson Memorial League Cup after being taken to a penalty shoot-out by Easington Colliery last night.

A spectacular striker from Calvin Smith put the Roofers ahead midway through the first half, and Paul Chow doubled the lead by half-time.

The lead was not to last, however, as Nathan Renton scored a quickfire double at the start of the half to tie the scores. It took a shoot-out to decide the game, and Joe Kerridge missed the deciding spot-kick for Easington.

Roofing started the game brightly, but they found it hard to deal with Easington’s high-pressure game. The hosts closed down every ball and looked content to hit the visitors on the counter-attack.

Renton almost benefited from one of these counters as he was played through by Jack Pounder before cutting into the box and dribbling past Dan Kirkup, but he could only fire a low shot straight at Andy Jennison.

Despite the hosts’ best attempts to not afford Roofing any time on the ball in the first half, the visitors still looked dangerous going forward.

It looked like it would take a bit of magic to break the deadlock, and Smith duly obliged on 32 minutes. He picked the ball up 30 yards from goal and set himself before unleashing a spectacular shot into the top corner.

That strike settled Roofing down, and Chow made it 2-0 a minute before half time.

Captain Alex White whipped a cross in from the left and Chow controlled it before playing a neat one-two with Michael Mackay in the box and chipping on-rushing keeper Ethan Anderson.

If Roofing thought their hosts from the league below would roll over in the second-half, then they were brought crashing down to earth just 11 minutes after the restart.

The dangerous Renton pulled one back on 54 minutes as he latched on to a long ball over the top before rifling low past Jennison from 20 yards.

He had all the time in the world to pick his spot.

Two minutes later, a corner was whipped in from the left and Renton rose highest to head home.

Chow thought he’d won the game on 88 minutes, but Anderson did brilliantly to claw away his close-range header.

A melee ensued in the box, but Roofing could not poke the ball over the line.

Penalties followed, and Kerridge drove his kick over the bar to send Roofing through.

Roofing return to league action when they host First Division leaders North Shields at Boldon CA Sports Ground tomorrow (3pm kick-off).