Ex-Sunderland and Newcastle striker reveals the truth behind League Two job interview
Former Sunderland and Newcastle United striker Michael Bridges has confirmed he was interviewed for the managerial role at Carlisle United - despite the Cumbrians’ board claiming otherwise.
Bridges was believed to be a serious contender for the role, and has now confirmed he was spoken to regarding succeeding Steven Pressley at Brunton Park.
“It was nice to be contacted by Carlisle United Football Club,” he said, speaking to FNR Football Nation Radio.
“I flew over there to put myself in the hotseat and had an interview with the club.
“Sadly I missed out this time but it was a great experience to actually go over and be thought about.”
Meanwhile, Sunderland co-owner Juan Sartori has confirmed he returned to England last week - after it was suggested he was set to become more involved with the Black Cats.
Sartori was recently elected as a senator is his native Uruguay but, with that role only set to take up approximately a week of his time every month, he was tipped to take on a more active role at the Stadium of Light.
And in a Facebook Live conversation, Sartori has now confirmed that he returned to England in the early days of December have headed to Europe for ‘a meeting’.
“I return [to Uruguay] this week, but let me explain why I am on this trip,” he said, in a broadcast on December 9.
“I am in Europe this week to attend a meeting, and then spend a little bit of time with my daughter who lives in London.”
It remains unclear whether Sartori engaged in any Sunderland-related business during his trip, and he has not been spotted at the Stadium of Light in several months.
It was suggested, however, that he would return this month - having recently handed the club some extra capital.
“Juan Sartori put a large chunk of money into the club in September,” said Charlie Methven in November.
“He’s been elected as a senator, which will take up about one week a month of his time.
“But from December, he’ll be here a lot more often.”