Joey Barton hits out after being shown a second red card in two months - with key man set to miss Sunderland clash
Joey Barton has slammed the officiating which saw him handed a second red card in the space of two months.
The Fleetwood Town boss was dismissed from the touchline in injury time during Fleetwood Town’s 1-0 win over Wycombe Wanderers, having previously seen red on December 29 when protesting a disallowed goal against Bristol Rovers.
And the former Newcastle United man believes the decision to brandish a red card against the Chairboys was ‘incorrect’.
“I’ve gone and spoken to the referee about why I was sent-off, he’s told me why and it’s incorrect,” said Barton, speaking to Fleetwood’s official website.
“We’ll wait for the match report and speak to the FA. Usually if I’ve been in the wrong I’ll throw my hands up, but the fourth official has made a mistake. He thinks he’s heard something aimed at the referee which didn’t happen.
Barton wasn’t the only Fleetwood player to see red either, with striker Ched Evans sent-off following a foul on Jason McCarthy.
The Cod Army boss once again thought this was the incorrect decision, with the striker now set to miss the next three games – including the trip to Sunderland on February 25.
“I’ll have to watch it back,” admitted Barton.
“I didn’t think it was a red card, even though there was contact.
“I think the decision was made far, far too quickly. He didn’t give himself any thinking space, but we’ll wait to see the referee’s report and what they have to say for themselves.”