Westoe withstand late Gosforth comeback

Dom Connolly goes over for his second try of the game
Dom Connolly goes over for his second try of the game

Westoe grabbed their second win of the campaign as they beat Gosforth 30-19.

Playing down the hill, Westoe piled on the pressure from the first whistle, with some driving forward play and deft handling from the back-line, and captain Andrew Kirton drove the ball over the line from a line-out for an early lead.

Westoe continued in the same vein and some deft interplay for centre Potts finally drawing in the final defence and feeding Dom Connolly who crashed over the line for their second score of the game after 13 minutes.

There followed a period of white-line fever for Westoe with many missed opportunities out wide. Despite their overall dominance, the score remained the same until a Moffett penalty took their lead to 13-0, 34 minutes into the half.

This was swiftly followed by the highlight of the match. A scintillating break by Ben Roberts on the left-wing took the play into the opponents 22m area, with the probable score being thwarted by a superb cover tackle from the Gosforth full-back. The ball was quickly re-cycled by Evans and the back-line unleashed again, spinning the ball the full width of the pitch, with Reeder touching down in the opposite corner.

Almost immediately from the restart, the Westoe backline were at it again, putting the ball through quick hands to Roberts, who touched down taking the half-time score to 23-0 and the welcome four-try bonus point before the half-time whistle.

Playing up the slope after the break, the Westoe pack took control of the game, keeping the ball tight, edging their way up the pitch. This sustained forward play saw Connolly crashing over the line for his second to extend the lead to 30-0.

Potts was then yellow-carded however and Gosforth raised their heads at this point and after a tremendous run by their left-winger, saw them on the score sheet for the first time. two minutes later they scored again, reducing the deficit to 30-14 and the potential of an unlikely comeback suddenly seeming possible.

In earlier weeks, we may have seen Westoe deteriorate, however, despite the waves of attack from Gosforth they side dug in deep and defended everything thrown against them.

Gosforth’s hopes were re-ignited with their third try of the day, with only a few minutes remaining but Westoe held on for a deserved victory.