Pub quiz questions - North-East knowledge, general knowledge and pot luck rounds
Think you’re cleverer than your family and friends? Or maybe you just want to put your knowledge to the test. Either way, have a bash at this pub quiz – and you don’t have to be 18 to take part.
There are three sets of 10 questions. The first set is general knowledge, the second is the North-East, the third is pot luck.
Answers are at the end of each round. Good luck and, mind, no cheating!
The general knowledge round
1. Which is the largest city in the German state of Bavaria?
2. Which of the following has been president of Gabon since 2009? A) David Copperfield B) Paul Daniels C) Debbie McGhee D) Ali Bongo d) Ali Bongo
3. What was named as the UK’s City of Culture for 2021?
4. What did Solomon Grundy do on Saturday?
5. Which political leader was assassinated on 27 December 2007?
6. What does the H stand for in HSBC, the high street bank?
7. Which political party leader is the MP for Holborn and St Pancras?
8. Which game is described by the makers as ‘the saddle stacking game with the moody mule’?
9. What is the significance in world geography of the measurement 8,848 metres (29,028 feet)?
10. In 2005 who became the first footballer to be sent off twice while playing for England?
Answers: general knowledge
1. Munich 2. D) Ali Bongo 3. Coventry 4. He died 5. Benazir Bhutto 6. Hong Kong (& Shanghai Banking Corporation) 7. Keir Starmer 8. Buckaroo 9. It is the height of Mount Everest 10. David Beckham
The North-East round
1. Which former cabinet minister was MP for Hartlepool between 1992 and 2004?
2. Which North-East town is home to the Brick Train sculpture?
3. Which North-East figure was on the back of Bank of England £5 notes between 1990 and 2003 when he was replaced by Elizabeth Fry?
4. Which footballer scored for Sunderland against Newcastle United at St James’ Park in February 2014, but joined United four months later?
5. Which of these rivers is the longest: Tees, Tyne or Wear?
6. In which decade was Washington Wetland Centre opened?
7. Who played Lord Percy, Duke of Northumberland in the first two Blackadder series?
8 Give any of the three years in which Durham won cricket’s County Championship.
9) Which member of the Monty Python team was born in South Shields?
10) Which summit is the highest peak in the North East at 815 metres (2,674 feet)?
Answers: North East knowledge
1. Peter Mandelson 2. Darlington 3. George Stephenson 4. Jack Colback 5. The Tees, at 85 miles long 6. The 1970s (in 1975) 7. Tim McInnerny 8. 2008, 2009 or 2013 9. Eric Idle 10. The Cheviot, in Northumberland
The pot luck round
1. What is the name of Amsterdam’s main airport?
2. In Greek mythology, which woman was married to Menelaus?
3. Which chocolate snack is named after an eighteenth century London gentlemen’s club?
4. What did the celebrated group of six men from Dorset, deported in 1834, become known as?
5. Which town provided the constituency of David Cameron between 2001 and 2016?
6. What number US President is Donald Trump?
7. First used in 2016, what is the name of the most famous unmanned submarine to be carried on the RSS Sir David Attenborough?
8. Which Coronation Street character has been played by Malcolm Hebden since 1994?
9. In which country was the 1916 Battle of Gallipoli fought?
10. What is the name of the fat member of the Bash Street Kids?
Answers: pot luck
1. Schipol 2. Helen of Troy 3. Kit-Kat 4. The Tolpuddle Martyrs 5. Witney (in Oxfordshire) 6. Forty-five 7. Boaty McBoatface 8. Norris Cole 9. Turkey 10. Fatty