North East coronavirus cases reach 13 as more people diagnosed will COVID-19 in region
The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the North East has risen to 13.
Latest figures from Public Health England on Wednesday, March 11, show there are now six confirmed COVID-19 cases in Newcastle, three in North Tyneside, two in Stockton and one each in Sunderland and County Durham.
Nationally, the number of confirmed cases now stands at 456 after 83 new cases on March 11. Six people have died in UK hospitals.
Wendy Burke, Director of Public Health, North Tyneside Council, said: “Two more cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in North Tyneside and we send our best wishes to the two residents and their families.
“The two patients, both adults, are being treated in hospital and we send them and their families our best wishes.
“The risk to the wider public remains low and I would like to reassure residents and visitors that North Tyneside remains a safe place to live, work and visit.
“We are following national guidance and monitoring any changes and we have structures in place for handling this sort of incident, which we exercise and train for.
“Please continue to follow advice around washing your hands regularly and following good hygiene practices and we would urge everyone to only visit the official source of information, www.gov.uk/coronavirus, for the latest information and advice.
“It’s important to remember that for most people with coronavirus, they experience symptoms similar to mild flu or a heavy cold. If you have symptoms do not visit your GP or pharmacy or hospital - use the NHS 111 online service 111.nhs.uk/service/covid-19 or call NHS 111. Please only go to the hospital if you really need to.
“We will continue to work with our partners to share information with the public.”
Dr Gayle Dolan, Consultant in Health Protection for Public Health England North East said: “Public Health England’s North East Health Protection Team is aware that two further residents in North Tyneside have been identified as confirmed cases of COVID-19.
“Close contacts are being given health advice about symptoms and contact details to use if they become unwell in the 14 days after contact with the confirmed case.”
Cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) were first reported in Hubei Province, China, in December 2019 and since then, further cases of the virus have been confirmed in a number of countries.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office has issued guidance for British people travelling and living overseas following the outbreak of coronavirus (COVID-19) in Wuhan, China, and in other countries worldwide.
It is urging people to stay indoors and avoid contact with others if they have travelled to the UK from the places on its list of designated affected areas in the last 14 days – even if they do not have symptoms.
Typical symptoms of coronavirus include fever and a cough that may progress to a severe pneumonia causing shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
Generally, coronavirus can cause more severe symptoms in people with weakened immune systems, older people, and those with long-term conditions like diabetes and chronic lung disease.
Anyone with the above symptoms is urged to use the 111 online coronavirus service to find out what to do next, but should not visit a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
Members of the public are asked to call 111 if they need to speak to someone.
More on coronavirus in our region: