Benefits Expert: Advice on the support available after a redundancy

Q. My husband has been made redundant after working full-time for 15 years. We are struggling on my full-time wage and a small amount of tax credits.
Jobcentre Plus.Jobcentre Plus.
Jobcentre Plus.

We have one child and live in a mortgaged property. Are we missing out on anything?

A. Your husband should be able to claim Jobseekers Allowance, which would be based on his National Insurance contributions; he would be paid the single person rate of £73.10 per week.
You should ensure that you inform HMRC of your husband’s change of income as you may be entitled to more tax credits.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Q. My daughter has recently moved out, she usually contributes towards my bills, so I am struggling on my current benefits.
I receive Personal Independence Payment and Employment and Support Allowance and my rent is covered by Housing Benefit.
Is there anything else I should be claiming?

A. You may be entitled to additional Employment and Support Allowance if you meet the criteria for a Severe Disability Premium.
You must receive Personal Independence Payment for daily living (middle and high rate Disability Living Allowance also qualifies, as does Attendance Allowance), live alone or only with other people on one of these benefits and no one must be receiving Carer’s Allowance for looking after you.
A severe disability premium is an additional £64.30 per week in your Employment and Support Allowance calculations.
Speak to your local Jobcentre Plus to apply for the extra premium.