Call for talks with Hebburn Town after post-match fighting on the street
A community is calling on football club bosses to close down troublemakers after violence flared at the end of a game.
Fighting broke out at after Saturday’s FA Vase match between Hebburn Town and City of Liverpool FC.The home side’s management team has since issued an apology to residents for the “unsavoury incident” and “awful scenes”, which they say were caused by a small minority.
Northumbria Police was called to the ground, which has entrances on North Drive and South Drive off Victoria Road West, after a record crowd of 1,302 watched on as the Hornets won 4-0.
The disorder spilled out into North Drive, with cones and bottles thrown.
No arrests were made.
While some say the fighting was short-lived, others say they are fed up with an increase in bad behaviour in the last year since the club house was revamped.
Residents have complained of music late at night and people urinating in the street, as well as parking problems.
Last month Hebburn Sports Club was granted a variation of its premises licence by South Tyneside Council to extend its bar area and serve food.
One 62-year-old, who had been at the game, said: “There was a big turnout, but I think the fighting was only a couple of people, it was only a scuffle, it’s been blown all out of proportion.
“They all came from behind the goal at the Victoria Road end at the final whistle and then they all ran out and started fighting.”
Sign up to our daily newsletter
But one man said he has had enough of the trouble.
“I love what they have done to the club, but this is the final straw,” he said.
“My partner and kid were inside crying. They were throwing bottles and cones.
“You can’t have 1,300 football supporters there, it’s not big enough and they can’t control it.
“We’re looking at moving because of it.”
Others said they want a residents’ meeting to be held with the club to discuss the issues, especially parking concerns.
In a statement from the club, which can be seen in full on its website, officials condemned the violence, issued an apology to residents and said it was working with police in the aftermath of the fight.