Former Jarrow lorry driver breached sexual risk order when he was caught with two schoolgirls

A former truck driver who was caught with two teenage girls in his car despite being banned from having contact with children has been put behind bars.

Wednesday, 2nd December 2020, 2:07 pm

Nigel Smith, 58, was made the subject of a sexual risk order in 2017, after being cleared of a sex offence allegation the previous year.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the five-year order, which was imposed by Hastings and Eastbourne Magistrates' at the request of East Sussex police, prevents Smith from having contact or communication with anyone under 18 or any vulnerable adult.

Despite the order, Smith, who moved to South Tyneside from Sussex in 2017, was caught with two schoolgirls in his Citroen Picasso.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nigel Smith

The court heard they had gone on the lockdown car journey for a "change of scenery".

Prosecutor Jonathon Walker told the court Smith had been joined on previous walks by the schoolgirls and been to McDonalds.

The court heard he referred to one of the girls as "big boobs" and the other said he "kept looking at her backside".

Mr Walker said: "The young girls described themselves as very intimidated indeed."

Smith, of Greenbank, Jarrow, admitted two charges of breach of a sexual risk order.

Judge Edward Bindloss jailed him for 13 months and told him: "This was persistent breaches in relation to two females, causing both distress and intimidation."

The court heard Smith has been leading a "lonely life" since he moved north and has been assessed as posing a "medium risk of sexual harm to children".

Judge Bindloss added: "The sexual risk order continues in the terms set by the magistrates’ court. That will last until February 12, 2022.

"When you come out you have got to obey the sexual risk order and the terms of your licence."

Richard Bloomfield, defending, said Smith had not realised he was in breach of the order as there was another adult present when he was with the girls.

Mr Bloomfield said: "He didn't appreciate the proper extent of the order. He thought it meant he could not be alone with any children under the age of 18.

"That wasn't the order and he was in breach and now he has to answer for it."

Mr Bloomfield said Smith, who has been in custody on remand, has not had a prison sentence before and does not want to repeat the experience.

Mr Bloomfield added: "He has learned his lesson."

Support your Gazette and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.