Joey Barton trial: Jury discharged in ex-Newcastle assault trial due to technical issues
Barton, who now manages Sunderland’s League One rivals Bristol Rovers, denies assaulting former Barnsley manager Daniel Stendel, occasioning him actual bodily harm, after a League One match between Barnsley and Fleetwood Town in April 2019.
The 38-year-old’s trial began on Monday and Mr Stendel began giving evidence on Tuesday (June 8) about the alleged incident, over a video link from a courtroom in Hanover, in Germany.
But, after more than hour of translation difficulties between Sheffield Crown Court and Germany, Judge Jeremy Richardson QC told the jury: “It is just not right to struggle on.”
Addressing the panel he added: “Unfortunately this morning I became increasingly concerned that things are getting lost in translation.
“He is a critical witness in this case. It’s not fair to him and not fair to anyone in this case.”
Judge Richardson said it was not anybody’s fault that the trial had to be halted, but was a consequence of the extraordinary measures put in place due to the Covid pandemic and the travel restrictions.
He said a new trial date would be fixed after it could be worked out how to bring Mr Stendel to the UK to give his evidence.
But the judge did point out that the trial had already been postponed for a year due to Covid and was now the oldest case on Sheffield Crown Court’s books.
And he said counsel in the trial would look at the legal situation to see if an exception to current travel bans could be made in the “service of justice”.
Barton, who played for a number of teams including Manchester City, Newcastle United and Burnley and is now Bristol Rovers’ manager, sat in the dock listening to proceedings wearing a dark suit, white shirt and navy tie.
He was given unconditional bail and the case was adjourned until Wednesday for a new trial date to be explored.