Man pretending to be 'James' pinned to the ground by police after drunken incident in Jarrow street

A drunk was restrained by police on the ground of a South Tyneside street when he became aggressive through alcohol after calling them to the scene.

Nathan Newton, 26, at first claimed his name was ‘James’ when questioned by officers in Stothard Street, Jarrow, on Sunday, January 17.

But the woman he was with then revealed his real name and that he had made the call which had brought them out.

Newton, of Fell Court, Beacon Lough, Gateshead, then kicked off and had to be restrained until back-up arrived.

The incident happened in Stothard Street, Jarrow

It was the dad’s second criminal offence in four months, magistrates in South Tyneside heard.

On Tuesday, September 15, he had been caught in possession of a kitchen knife on rail tracks in Dunston, Gateshead.

The court was told he had taken it from his home in a carrier bag and had confessed to having left it by the trackside when confronted by police.

Prosecutor Emma O’Hegarty said: “Police arrive in Stothard Street and find a male and a female in the street.

‘They disembark from their marked car. The man was asked his name and he replied ‘James’.

“The female confirmed that he had contacted the police and that his name was Nathan.

“One officer spoke to the woman and the other officer to the man.

“Mr Newton was unsteady on his feet and had glazed eyes. He was shouting and swaying.

“He stood up and became abusive in the PC’s face. He was cautioned for being drunk and disorderly.

“He then kicked out at the marked vehicle. The officers took him to the ground, where he remained on his front until a police van arrived.”

Judith Curry, defending, said: “He’s had problems for quite some time. There was a breakdown in a relationship, they have children together.

“He found himself in a position where he was homeless. Shortly afterwards, we went into the second lockdown.

“He went to see his doctor who prescribed anti-depressants, which didn’t help."

Newton pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and being drunk and disorderly.

He was jailed for 14 weeks, suspended for 12 months, for the knife offence and handed a 12-month conditional discharge for being drunk and disorderly.

He must pay a £128 victim surcharge and £85 court costs.

Support your Gazette and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.