Newcastle United supporter who hit another Toon fan with broken seat at West Ham game is handed three-year ban

A football lout who hit one of his own fans when he tried to throw a seat at rival supporters has been banned from every ground in the country.

Scott Brown
Scott Brown

Scott Brown had traveled to London to watch Newcastle United take on West Ham at the London Stadium on November 2.

A court heard the 27-year-old had been drinking heavily in the build up to the match and when the Magpies took an early two goal lead, ripped off his seat and hurled it towards the home fans.

However, he failed to reach the rival supporters and instead struck a 26-year-old woman in the away end, leaving her with a nasty cut to the head.

Brown was arrested by Metropolitan Police and charged with throwing a missile, common assault and possession of a Class A drug.


Hide Ad

He was handed a three-year football banning order and a four-month suspended sentence at Thames Magistrates' Court.

Chief Supt Sarah Pitt, who oversees football policing in Northumbria Police, said: "The North East is home to some of the most passionate football supporters in the entire country and thousands of people travel to watch them in action every single week.

"They very rarely get involved in any disorder and we are proud to be able to travel with supporters of both Newcastle and Sunderland to away matches across the country.

"We know football can stir emotions and many of our officers are fans as well so we understand that things can boil over.


Hide Ad

"However, there is absolutely no excuse for behaviour like that demonstrated by Scott Brown at the West Ham game and I welcome this sentence.

"His reckless and stupid actions have led to a fellow Newcastle United fan being injured and he is lucky that her injuries weren't more serious.

"Often being banned from being able to follow your team is worse than any fine or community service and I hope he learns from his mistake.

As well as the banning order and suspended sentence, Brown, , of Oakfield Park, Prudhoe, ,was ordered to carry out 150 hours of unpaid work, fined £75 for possession of cocaine. and ordered to pay £850 compensation, £85 in court costs and a £122 victim surcharge.