Police arrest woman in South Tyneside street after leaving friend's home with eight-inch knife

A woman appeared in court after she went to a friend’s house and left later carrying an 8in kitchen knife after the atmosphere turned ugly.

By Gareth Crickmer
Thursday, 16th July 2020, 7:00 am

Nicole Scott, 32, of Wuppertal Court, Jarrow, picked up the blade and walked off into Wenlock Road, South Shields, at 6.30pm on Friday, June 12.

But within yards police had arrived and ordered her to drop the item, which she did immediately and without any threatening intent.

Magistrates in South Tyneside were told Scott claimed matters inside the property had “got a little out of hand” and that picking up the knife and leaving had seemed her best option.

Nicole Scott's case was heard at South Tyneside Magistrates' Court

Prosecutor Paul Anderson said: “The police get a report of a female with a knife, so they go to Wenlock Road.

“They arrive and they see her fidgeting behind her back, and she throws down to the ground an 8in kitchen knife.

“Police speak to her but in interview, she gives no reply, so we don’t really know what it was about.”

Val Bell, defending, said: “She has pleaded guilty immediately. She is single and has problems with alcohol, she is alcohol dependent.

“She had been to a friend’s address in South Shields. Things had got a little out of hand inside the address.

“She and a male friend had decided to leave. She picked up the knife, it was in the property. She thought that that was the sensible option.

“She should have just left. Things had started to turn unpleasant inside.”

Ms Bell added: “She had not walked far from the property, she had walked for just a short time with the knife.

“Police attend and she was asked to drop the knife which she does immediately.

“She didn’t throw it down, she put it down. She complies fully with the police.”

Scott, who pleaded guilty to possession of a knife in a public place, was told an alcohol treatment requirement would form part of her sentence.

The case was adjourned for reports and she was granted unconditional bail to appear at the same court for sentencing on Wednesday, July 29.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

The dramatic events of 2020 are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news by buying a copy of our newspaper.

We have arranged a special 20 per cent off subscription offer for people to take advantage of. Visit www.localsubsplus.co.uk, choose the newspaper title, the type of subscription and enter your details.

Thank you.