South Shields mum crashed car while driving without valid licence or insurance

A South Tyneside mum who crashed while driving uninsured and without a valid licence has been told by a court she was the architect of her own downfall.

Thursday, 28th November 2019, 6:00 am
Updated Friday, 29th November 2019, 10:52 am

Ashleigh Shaw, 30, failed to stop at the junction of East George Potts Street and Westoe Road in South Shields - and crashed into a silver Ford Zetec.

But she then left the scene in panic after the other driver allegedly became angry, South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court heard.

Police traced Shaw, of Captains Wharf, South Shields, who confessed to her role, telling officers she was frightened and sorry for what had happened.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The junction where the collision happened. Picture c/o Google Streetview

She pleaded guilty to driving without a valid licence, failing to report an accident, and using a motor vehicle without insurance.

Chairman of the bench John Lee said: “You were the architect of your own downfall.

“Occasionally this is what happens when people take a chance – they wind up in court.”

Prosecutor Jeff Taylor told the hearing: “She failed to stop at the junction. She didn’t then report the accident.

“Police identified her and came to her home address and she made admissions, saying she had panicked at the time.”

David Forrester, defending, said provisional licence holder Shaw had made a statement to police in which she said her partner usually sorted her insurance.

He said she was driving her partner’s 58-plate white Smart car when she hit the Ford at 7.45pm on Saturday, May 25.

At the time, she was traveling to pick up her cousin and thought she was insured but admitted the car was also not displaying ‘L’ plates, Mr Forrester said.

He said Shaw, who has no previous convictions, had become frightened at the scene.

He added: "The Zetec driver was very angry."

A charge of failing to stop following an accident was withdrawn.

Magistrates told Shaw the most serious of the three offences was the failing to report the accident, which they said was aggravated by not having valid insurance.

For that offence, Shaw was fined £120 and handed £85 court costs and a £32 victim surcharge. There was no penalty for the other offences.