Sunderland and South Shields pair jailed for bungling lockdown shop raid

A pair of bungling criminals who attempted to burgle a mobile phone shop after the coronavirus lockdown started have been jailed.

Friday, 3rd July 2020, 7:00 am

Jonathon William Hughes and Graham Liddle are each beginning 18 weeks in prison after they were convicted of the botched break-in at Geekys, in Waterloo Place, Sunderland, following a trial.

Two accomplices, who also denied attempted burglary, have received suspended jail terms after they too were found guilty at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

The four suspects were arrested near the scene after the alarm was raised on April 28 and police have now said: “This case highlights how we are committed to acting quickly and decisively whenever suspicious behaviour is reported to us.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Bungling raiders, Jonathon William Hughes, left, and Graham Liddle are both beginning jail terms.

Hughes, 35, of Tadcaster Road, Thorney Close, Sunderland, and Liddle, 50, of Downham Court, South Shields, were jailed earlier this week after the court decided in each case that “the offence was aggravated by the defendant’s record of previous offending”.

They must also pay a victim surcharge of £128 each.

Kevin Jordan Marrs, 33, of Oxford Street, Pallion, Sunderland, received an 18-week jail term, which was suspended for a year, and was ordered to pay a £128 victim surcharge.

Grant McCormack, 35, whose address was given as Ashfields Court, Sunderland, received a 38-week jail term, which was suspended for a year, and must pay a £128 victim surcharge after he also admitted committing two attempted burglaries in the Hill View and Tunstall areas of the city on June 5.

Geekys, in Waterloo Place, Sunderland, was targeted by four bungling criminals after the onset of the coronavirus lockdown.

Detective Constable Neil Swainston, of Northumbria Police, said afterwards: “The last few months have been an uncertain time for many business owners, some of whom will no doubt have been concerned about the security of their premises while in isolation.

“Nothing was stolen in this particular case, but officers got to the scene quickly and located vital evidence before searching the area and locating the four suspects.

“This case highlights how we are committed to acting quickly and decisively whenever suspicious behaviour is reported to us and some fantastic teamwork between officers allowed us to secure this swift conviction.

“We will not tolerate this kind of behaviour and we will continue to put thieves before the courts.”

Jonathon William Hughes has been jailed.

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news on this free-to-read site, I am asking you to also please purchase a copy of our newspaper.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world.

Graham Liddle has been jailed.

But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspaper.

Thank you.

How to subscribe to the print edition:

It’s easy to subscribe to your local newspaper. We have arranged a special 20 per cent off subscription offer for people to take advantage of.

Visit, choose the newspaper title, the type of subscription and enter your details.

Kevin Marrs received a suspended sentence.
Grant McCormack also received a suspended sentence.