Delays continue on stretch of Metro line after power surge

Some commuters will still face delays today after yesterday's power surge on the Metro which brought trains to a standstill.

Tuesday, 16th August 2016, 5:57 am
Updated Wednesday, 24th August 2016, 4:04 pm
Photo by Kate Usher

Trains are running system-wide with minor delays, except between South Gosforth and Shiremoor where the line is still closed.

Ticket acceptance on Stagecoach, Go Northeast, and Arriva buses, which was in operation across the system’s areas yesterday, has now been withdrawn, but 900 bus replacement services are running between South Gosforth and Shiremoor.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The problems on this stretch of the line are set to continue as engineers work on the line.

Yesterday’s power surge saw Monument Metro Station in Newcastle evacuated as a precaution.

Five fire crews from Newcastle Central, Gosforth and Gateshead attended Monument Metro Station to work with Nexus staff to lead 71 passengers and the driver on a train stuck in the tunnel to safety above ground.

Meanwhile, officers from Northumbria Police attended Newcastle city centre to reassure and direct the public. An investigation is now underway to determine the cause of the problem.

Nexus Director of Rail and Infrastructure, Raymond Johnstone, has offered an apology to passengers, saying: “I am sorry for the inconvenience and disruption caused to Metro passengers yesterday and today.

“Our engineers began repairs at Gosforth overnight and will complete these tonight, because we will need to turn off power in a wide area to do this safely. Unfortunately this means there will be no trains between South Gosforth and Shiremoor but a frequent replacement bus service is operating.

“The fault was caused by a power surge on Monday which brought a number of lines to a stop yesterday. Metro staff working for our train operator DB Regio worked with emergency services to help people off trains in a well-practised procedure where these were halted between stations.

“It was a hot day and I appreciate some passengers had a long wait to be escorted from trains. I’m sorry if this was the case but it is imperative people do not leave trains until it is absolutely safe to do so. I’d like to thank passengers for the patience and calm they showed throughout.”

Nexus, the public body which owns and manages Metro, will provide a further update on Wednesday morning.