Fire service warn against using cheap electric products after toy hoverboard causes fire

Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue have advised the public to avoid using cheap and counterfeit electricals after a toy hoverboard caused a fire in a Boldon house.

Thursday, 5th December 2019, 7:46 pm
Updated Friday, 6th December 2019, 1:18 am
Fire fighters were sent to the scene.

Crews from South Shields and Washington were sent to Shelley Avenue, in Boldon Colliery, at 5.45pm on Wednesday, December 4 after a toy hoverboard caught fire due to a suspected electrical fault.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The fire was confined to the ground-floor passage of the two-storey home and the toy and a section carpet were destroyed.

Thankfully, the occupants were able to get out of the house safely but one person had to be treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

On Thursday, December 5, a spokesperson for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service released advice to the public. They said: “Even high quality goods can malfunction, but you can greatly reduce the risk of electrical fires by avoiding cheap or counterfeit products.”