Investigations continue after elderly woman dies in bungalow fire in South Shields
The fire brigade has confirmed that an elderly woman has sadly died in a bungalow fire in South Shields.
On Saturday, January 25, Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue service was called to reports of a house fire and it has now confirmed that a woman has died.
Crews from South Shields and Marley Park Community Fire Stations were sent to the scene of the blaze at around 2.40pm.
They arrived at a bungalow on Millais Gardens shortly before 2.45pm where they found that a fire, located in the kitchen, had been extinguished.
The fire fighters quickly found an elderly female resident in the house and performed CPR until paramedics arrived.
She was then transported to hospital but sadly she passed away.
The fire caused minor damage to the house and the brigade currently believe that the cause of the fire was accidental.
Investigations into the circumstances are ongoing and officers from Northumbria Police continue their inquiries in an attempt to establish the cause of the blaze.
TWFRS Area Manager for Community Safety, Lynsey McVay said: “This is a tragic incident and our deepest sympathies are with the family and friends of this lady.
“This terrible accident reminds us all about the need to be aware of the risks present in a kitchen, and how to try to avoid them.
“It goes without saying that all homes should also have working smoke alarms on every level. Please test them regularly to keep yourself and your family safe.”
If there is a fire in your home, the advice is to “Get out, Stay Out and call 999.”
If you do hear a smoke alarm, regardless of the location, the service reminds the public to never ignore it. Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue advise you to never investigate it yourself and to call them on 999.Home safety checks for elderly or vulnerable residents can be requested by visiting the brigade's website.For more information on home safety visit: https://www.twfire.gov.uk/safety-advice/home/prevent/