Lost South Shields pubs: How many of these do you remember?

South Shields has always been a good night out - but many of the town's old pubs are sadly no longer with us.

Monday, 17th December 2018, 12:49 pm
Updated Monday, 18th February 2019, 8:27 am
Many traditional pubs have disappeared.

Following the news that another well-known South Tyenside pub is set to close, we've dug into our picture archives to find more where last orders have been called once and for all - how many of these did you used to drink in?

The Beacon in Green's Place on the Lawe Top was one of the oldest pubs in South Shields, having served drinks since the late 1800s. It closed in 2015, and the building has planning permission to turn it into seven apartments.
The Brig was situated on Ferry Approach, South Shields, and closed in 2010. It was demolished in December 2012 as part of the redevelopment of the Market Place area.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Brunny, as it was known, was on the corner of Brunswick Street and Laygate in South Shields, and there had been a pub of this name on the site since 1832. Latterly a strip club known as Whispers, it closed in December 2011.
The City of Durham - or Cod to the locals - was situated on the Market Place in South Shields. It closed in 2005 and is now a cafe.
The Commercial Hotel was once many of many pubs situated on Commercial Road, within a stone's throw of the shipyards of South Shields. It closed in 2008.
The Douglas Vaults was in Barrington Street, in South Shields town centre. Previously known as The Buffalo, The Spirit Vaults and The Spirit, it closed in summer 2015, by which time it was called The Cross Arms Hotel.
In Chapter Row, South Shields, opposite the old Gazette offices, the pub was built in the '60s on the site of a former Methodist church which was hit by a German bomb in 1941. It was demolished in 2010 as part of the South Shields 365 regeneration project. Read more at: https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/bulldozer-calls-time-on-doomed-pub-1-1263858Like the offices, it was demolished in
The Commando was another pub situated in the once-bustling Market Place. It closed in 2008 and was knocked down in 2013 as part of the South Shields 365 regeneration project.
The Dock pub was in Hudson Street, Tyne Dock, and it closed in 2010. It reopened as a Man V Food restaurant in 2015.
The Horsley Hill Hotel was situated on Marsden Road, South Shields. It closed in 2005 and has now been demolished and replaced by a residential care home.
The Mariner was in Mortimer Road, South Shields, and closed in early 2017. It's now home to a Co-Op convenience store.
The West Park was in Stanhope Road, South Shields, and closed in 2014. It's now a Sainsbury's local store.
The Criterion, on the corner of King Street and Ocean Road, is a pub which came back from the dead. It closed in 2012, and the ground floor became a bookies, but this year a bar reopened on the first floor, with plans for a six-room B&B above.