Machete attack victim recovers from surgery as police continue investigation
A man injured in a suspected machete attack after giving chase to motorbike thieves, is today recovering at home as police inquiries continue.
Christian Morley’s left arm was slashed to the bone after the incident close to his home in Victoria Road East, Hebburn, at around 2.20am on Friday.
The supermarket employee was taken by ambulance to South Tyneside District Hospital, where he is believed to have undergone surgery.
Mr Morley, 39, was set upon as he pursued two men tampering with a bike he had securely chained at the front of his property.
As they fled, a third suspect he did not know was present is understood to have approached from behind and cut him with the blade.
It is the third alleged incident at his home in just over a week.
In the first, thieves made off with his motorbike, with neighbouring CCTV capturing the raid.
And in the second, just two days before he was attacked, they fled the scene empty handed after he confronted them trying to take a replacement bike.
Sign up to our daily newsletter
Today, Mr Morley, a warehouse worker with Asda, did not want to comment on his ordeal.
His mother, Susan Morley, 65, who lives at the same property, has previously told how he returned home bloodied after the attack.
She believes their home was watched by the gang in advance of the attacks – and has said those responsible must be caught.
Police have confirmed they were alerted to an incident, which had led to officers putting a cordon in place around four houses.
In a statement last Friday, a spokesman said: "At around 2.19am this morning officers received a report a man had been attacked by a group of unknown offenders on motorbikes.
"Emergency services attended and the 39-year-old victim was taken to hospital with serious but no- life threatening injuries.
“No one has been arrested and inquiries into this incident are ongoing."
Anyone who has information about the incident should contact police on 101 quoting log 69 121018.