'˜My behaviour was horrible' admits South Shields dad who launched attack on police at hospital

A drunken dad told a court he was ashamed of his '˜horrible' behaviour after he launched an angry attack on police who helped him to receive vital medical treatment.

Wednesday, 8th June 2016, 1:49 pm
Updated Monday, 13th June 2016, 12:40 pm
South Tyneside District Hospital.

Police were called into action by concerned staff at South Tyneside Hospital after Mark Reed left the ward without receiving treatment for a ‘substantial’ self-inflicted wound on his wrist.

The 44-year old had slashed his right wrist - causing a cut that later needed 11 stitches - after downing a bottle of rum.

Police tracked him down to his mother’s home to appeal for him to seek medical attention - only to be greeted by a volley of abuse.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

They eventually persuaded him to accept a lift to the hospital, but he became volatile again when he was forced to wait for treatment while a doctor tended to a patient who had suffered a cardiac arrest.

Reed swore at officers while in a waiting room at the hospital - in earshot of a mother and her young child and elderly patients - before throwing a punch at a police constable which narrowly missed its target.

Reed, of Stanhope Road, South Shields, admitted assaulting a police constable and using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour when he appeared at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court.

He was given a conditional discharge by magistrates after demonstrating his remorse over the offences.

Claire Irving, prosecuting, said; “Police became aware of this gentleman because South Tyneside Hospital reported that he had left the hospital without receiving treatment to a substantial cut to his right wrist, which was self inflicted.

“Officers attended his mother’s address and told him they were concerned for his welfare.

“They noted he was drunk and had a 4cm to 5cm cut on his right wrist, which was deep with dried blood on it.

“He swore at police and his behaviour became increasingly bizarre before he agreed to go to hospital.

“He became abusive again at the hospital as he expected a doctor to treat him, but he was with a patient who was having a cardiac arrest.

“He was frothing at the mouth and headbutting the walls.

“He turned to one of the police officers and swung a punch, narrowly missing him.

“Catherine Fowle, defending, said Reed was ‘disgusted and ashamed’ at his own behaviour.”

She said: “He is disgusted and ashamed at his own behaviour.

“He tells me he had come off his medication which led to a deterioration of his mental health and him causing significant injuries to his own wrist.

“He does apologiose for his behaviour.

“He is not a man who comes before the court day in, day out.

“This offending is totally out of character.”

Magistrates were told Reed’s sole criminal offence occured back in 1992.

Addressing magistrates, Reed said: “I watched the CCTV of the incident.

“It was horrible.”

Gerald Tierney, chair of the magistrates, said; “The police were just trying to help you.

“Your behaviour was very disturbing.”