One casualty after pan fire in South Shields
The blaze, which broke out at a flat in Halstead Place, was extinguished before the arrival of firefighters.
Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service confirmed in a tweet that one person was taken to hospital.
Their condition is not yet known.
A spokesman for Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service added: "We were called at 10pm last night to a report of a fire in Halstead Place, South Shields.
"Two crews from South Shields Community Fire Station attended and the stop for the incident was recorded at 10.17pm.
"This was a first floor flat within a block of flats.
"One pan and its contents was 100% severely damaged by fire.
"The remainder of the kitchen was 70% severely damaged by fire and 100% by smoke.
"The remainder of the flat was 70% severely damaged by smoke.
"The occupier of the flat self-extinguished the fire before the arrival of fire crews by turning off the heat source to the pan."