Life-saving advice issued after cooker fire at home

Safety advice has been issued after a fire broke out at a Jarrow home when a pan was left on the hob.

By The Newsroom
Wednesday, 12 June, 2019, 15:02
Crews were called to a fire at a home in Jarrow

Crews from South Shields and Gateshead were called to the fire at a home in Elm Street, in Jarrow, just before 12.40pm today.

The fire broke out after a pan was left on the hob but thankfully it only took two minutes for crews to extingish the flames.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The crew used the domestic water supply to extinguish the fire and as a precaution the cooker was taken outside of the property.

“There was 20% smoke damage upstairs and light smoke damage downstairs. The female occupier wasn’t home and the fire had started by accident. We’d urge residents to be careful.”