Man, 85, dies after being rescued by firefighters from house fire in South Shields

An 85-year-old man has died after being rescued by firefighters from a house fire in South Tyneside.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Fire crews from Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service (TWFRS) were scrambled after reports of a fire at a bungalow in Biddick Hall, South Shields, just after 5pm on Saturday, January 14.

TWFRS said two appliances were sent from South Shields Community Fire Station and arrived on scene within just six-minutes of the 999 call, with four firefighters using breathing apparatus immediately entering the property and rescuing the resident from the fire.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The man was given emergency treatment at the scene by firefighters until the arrival of paramedics North East Ambulance Service, but sadly died from his injuries at South Tyneside Hospital, on the morning of Sunday, January 15.

The man sadly died in hospital after being rescued by firefightersThe man sadly died in hospital after being rescued by firefighters
The man sadly died in hospital after being rescued by firefighters
Read More
Family and friends to take on Great North Run in memory of much loved Derek 'Dez...

Area Manager Phil Clark, of TWFRS, said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim at this sad time.

“Our crews were in attendance of the fire within minutes of the emergency call and were able to rescue the resident from the property.

“Firefighters alongside other blue light colleagues fought tirelessly to help save the life of the resident.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“They did an incredible job, in very difficult circumstances, and will also be offered any support they may need.

“Our fire investigation team will also be supporting Northumbria Police as they prepare a report for the coroner.

“With any fatal fire in the region we will always look to see if there is anything we can learn to help keep the communities of Tyne and Wear safe from harm.”

A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “This is a tragic incident and our thoughts go out to the family and friends of the man involved.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Police do not believe the death to be suspicious or that there was any third-party involvement. A report has been made for the coroner.”

The residential fire is currently under investigation to identify the cause of the incident but, at this time, it is not believed to have been started deliberately.

TWFRS offer free home visits as part of their safe and well checks, during which they can check smoke alarms or fit new ones and can be arranged by calling 0800 032 7777.

Staff can also identify any other fire risks and work with occupants to address issues in their home.