Seeing Joe McElderry at the Customs House? Here are the safety measures in place to keep you safe
and live on Freeview channel 276
Much-loved performer Joe McElderry will take to the stage for three nights of music with show ‘Joe McElderry Unlocked’ at the Mill Dam venue in South Shields from Thursday, May 20 to Saturday, May 22.
The X Factor winner, who has played the leading role of Joseph in his Technicolor Dreamcoat and more recently Garry in Club Tropicana, said he ‘cannot wait’ to get back on stage after so long.
Joe is one of the first performers to headline at the theatre which reopened its doors to audiences on Monday, May 17 as coronavirus restrictions were eased to allow indoor theatre and concert performances.
Over the past 12 months, the Customs House has managed to offer audiences a small number of adapted performances but it has not been able to hold a live show in a year since the venue closed its doors.
“It’s been a very long wait to welcome people back to their Customs House,” executive director Ray Spencer said.
"We will do all we can to make their return a safe and friendly one.
“We have really missed our audiences and I know they have missed us too.
"Now let’s fill the place with laughter and music.”
Joe’s show will take place at 7.30pm each night and a performance will be held at 2.30pm on Saturday, May 22.
If you’re heading along to the theatre tonight or are attending an performance in the coming months, here is everything you need to know about the Covid-19 safety measures in place:
• There will be a limited capacity to 50% or less to ensure that audience members can socially distance inside the theatre.
• Socially distanced seating and a one way system is in place.
• A ‘one in one out’ police will be in place for the toilets but there will be additional toilet facilities provided.
• Face masks will be worn around the building unless eating or drinking.
• Seat service only for drinks during performances.
• Hand sanitiser will be provided.
• Clear signage will be in place to direct people around the building
• All staff will complete lateral flow Covid-19 tests twice a week.