South Shields dad left with fractured eye socket and 12 stitches after being attacked on his way home from the pub

A South Shields dad was left hospitalised and requiring surgery after a vicious attack by yobs on his way back from the pub early Saturday morning.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Stephen Johnstone, 59, was left unconscious after being attacked from behind by a group of yobs while walking home from Armstrong’s Bar, on Stanhope Road.

After parting ways with his son Michael in the early hours of Saturday morning, Stephen was walking home alone when he felt a thud on the back of his head near the KFC car park, on Chichester Road, before being brutally attacked by a group of men, who took his phone and car keys.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The assault has left Stephen with a fractured eye socket, 12 stitches and a ruptured retina which will require surgery.

Michael Johnstone after the attackMichael Johnstone after the attack
Michael Johnstone after the attack

Stephen’s son, Michael Johnstone, 32 is appealing for anyone who may have information on the attack to come forward to police after being left shocked by what happened.

He said: “It’s not just a few punches, whoever these people are, they’ve given him a good kicking. It shook him up but hopefully we’ll find whoever was behind this.

“I’ve been going round to people’s houses asking for CCTV and I’m asking people to keep their eyes and ears out for any information. It’s just not fair, you cannot be doing that to people on their way home. He did nothing wrong, he was just walking home minding his own business.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Stephen and Michael, who run a courier business together, had spent the night enjoying a drink at Armstrong’s bar before the attack.

A trail of blood found at the scene of the incident the next morning by Stephen's son, MichaelA trail of blood found at the scene of the incident the next morning by Stephen's son, Michael
A trail of blood found at the scene of the incident the next morning by Stephen's son, Michael

Stephen is now resting and recovering at home while being cared for by his family and awaiting surgery.

The incident is being investigated by Northumbria Police who are also asking anyone with information to come forward.

A Northumbria Police spokesperson said: “An investigation has been launched following a report of an assault in the Halstead Place area of South Shields. “A man was walking home at about 1am on September 25 when he was assaulted by a group of males, who then ran off.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“The victim suffered facial injuries and was taken to hospital as a precaution. “Enquiries are ongoing into the incident. Anyone with information is asked to contact police via the ‘Tell us Something’ page of our website or by calling 101 quoting log NP-20210925-0073.”

Support your Gazette and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to all of our news and sport, see fewer ads, experience faster load times, test your brain with daily puzzles and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. The Shields Gazette has been on South Tyneside since 1849, and your support means we can continue telling your stories for generations to come. Click here to subscribe.

Related topics: