South Tyneside MPs pay tribute to Prince Philip after death aged 99

South Tyneside MPs have paid tribute to Prince Philip, Queen Elizabeth II’s husband, following his death aged 99.

Friday, 9th April 2021, 1:44 pm
Updated Friday, 9th April 2021, 2:26 pm

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, passed away peacefully this morning, April 9, at Windsor Castle, a statement from Buckingham Palace confirmed.

South Shields MP Emma Lewell-Buck said it was a 'sad day' for the whole country as she paid tribute to the Queen’s consort.

She said: "It is absolutely heartbreaking.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, has died aged 99, Buckingham Palace has announced. (Photo by Adrian Dennis - WPA Pool/Getty Images)

"He devoted his life to public service and being by the Queen's side.

"It is a really sad day for the whole country."

Jarrow MP Kate Osborne said her thoughts were with the Royal Family at this sad time.

She said: “My sincere condolences go out to the Queen and the Royal Family on the death of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.”

South Shields MP Emma Lewell-Buck

“My thoughts are with them all at this very sad time.”

Philip – who is father to the Prince of Wales, the Princess Royal, the Duke of York and the Earl of Wessex – was just two months away from his 100th birthday in June.

He spent much of the Covid-19 crisis staying with the Queen at Windsor in HMS Bubble – the nickname given to the couple’s reduced household of devoted staff during lockdown.

He had been in hospital for a month earlier this year and underwent heart surgery on March 3. He left the private King Edward VII's Hospital in central London on Tuesday, March 16.

Jarrow MP Kate Osborne

The Duke and the Queen were married for more than 70 years and Philip dedicated decades of his life to royal duty, serving the nation at the monarch’s side.

He officially retired from public engagements in the summer of 2017.

Read More

Read More
The Duke of Edinburgh has died - Buckingham Palace statement in full

A statement from Buckingham Palace said: “The Palace said in a statement: “It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen announces the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

“His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.

“Further announcements will be made in due course.

“The Royal Family joins with people around the world in mourning his loss.”

You can subscribe to this website and enjoy unlimited access to local news, information and puzzles online.

With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Simply click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu.