Pictures show shocking aftermath following vape pen explosion in man's trouser pocket on bus
The man, who asked to remain anonymous, suffered a burn to the top of his leg but thankfully wasn’t badly injured when the re-chargable, removable battery of his vape pen exploded while in his pocket.
The shocking incident happened while he was on the number 18 Stagecoach bus at Dame Flora Robson Avenue, South Shields, on Wednesday morning.
A number of passengers, including children on their way to school, were on the bus when the vape pen exploded but thankfully no one else was injured.
The bus was evacuated and a replacement vehicle was provided.
Now the man wants to show the damage it caused as a warning to others.
The pictures, which have been shared on social media, show the damage caused by the exploding battery – which has burnt through is trousers and jacket.
The bus passenger says he wasn’t injured apart from the burn on his leg and hopes the children on the bus ‘weren’t too scared by what happened’.
A spokesperson from Stagecoach North East said: "At 8.45AM on 15 January 2020, Service 18 was temporarily delayed on Dame Flora Robson Avenue due to a malfunctioning vape belonging to a passenger.
“No passengers were injured, but as a precaution the bus was evacuated and a replacement vehicle provided."