Young teenagers arrested after 'large fight' involving up to 40 people in Jarrow
Police have arrested two boys following a ‘large fight’ in Jarrow.
Officers were called to Hylton Road at about 7.40pm on July 15 after reports of a brawl involving between 15 – 25 youngsters, although other reports have put the number as high as 40.
A 13-year-old and a 14-year-old were both arrested at the scene, and at the time of writing are still being held while investigations into the ‘disturbance’ continue.
Neighbourhood Inspector Denise Easdon said: “At about 7.40pm on Monday police received a report of a large fight involving teenagers on Hylton Road in Jarrow.
“Police attended the scene and two boys – aged 14 and 13 – were arrested by police.
Nobody sustained any injuries but police also put a 24 hour dispersal order in place. This gives us powers to move on any large groups who gather in the area in a bid to prevent any disorder.
“Enquiries into the disturbance last night is ongoing and the two boys arrested remain in police custody at this time. This type of behaviour has no place in our neighbourhood and we will take robust action against anyone involved in this type of behaviour.”
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
Jarrow councillor Paul Milburn, who represents the town’s Primrose ward on South Tyneside Council, claimed such fights were becoming a ‘regular occurrence’ in the area.
“Residents are really annoyed that it doesn’t seem to be getting dealt with,” he said, “on the face of it, it doesn’t seem like there’s any action being taken.”
Earlier this year Winton Keenan, chief constable of Northumbria Police, appeared at South Shields Town Hall to take questions from members of South Tyneside Council.
During the session, Keenan insisted his force’s area, as well as the wider North East, remained one of the safest parts of the whole country.
He also claimed the region did not suffer from the ‘street gang culture’ which is thought to be behind a rise in attacks, anti-social behaviour and other incidents elsewhere in the country.
At the time, this was challenged by Jarrow councillor Keith Roberts, who said his Bede ward, in Jarrow, was ‘wicked with crime’ and urged the chief constable to visit and see for himself.