Sex pest doctor back in the dock after hurling drunken abuse at estranged wife

A sex pest hospital doctor who was put behind bars after groping hospital staff landed himself back in the dock - after hurling drunken abuse at his estranged wife and her parents in a heated domestic row,

Niaz Ahmed was locked up for 18 months - a sentence later cut in half on appeal - last February after being convicted of two charges of indecent assault against staff at South Tyneside Hospital.

Newcastle Crown Court was told that Niaz, who was an anaesthetist at the hospital, squeezed one woman’s bottom and asked her ‘do you fancy it’ and prodded the breasts of another.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He was also made to sign the sex offenders’ register for 10 years and was later struck off the medical register after a General Medical Council tribunal earlier this year.

Niaz, of Broadlands, Cleadon, was slapped with a community order and given a four-week curfew after admitting breaching the terms of a non-molestation made to protect his wife, Shireen Ahmed, at their marital home in March.

The order had been imposed just a month earlier at Newcastle Family Court and barred him from pestering and harassing her.

But the 56-year-old launched a volley of abuse at his wife and his parents-in-law as tensions became fraught at the home he continues to share with his wife.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Glenda Beck, prosecuting, said: “The injured party has been married to Niaz Ahmed for over 30 years but their relationship has broken down in the last five to 10 years.

“She lives with Ahmed, her son and daughter and her mother and father.

“On March 9, she says he came home in a drunken state and was abusive to her mum, who is in her 70s.

“He then started calling her father names.”

In a victim statement, Mrs Ahmed said: “He had never been abusive to my parents before. I have no idea how much alcohol he had consumed.

“It is very difficult having to live with him.

“It is making our lives unbearable.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Christopher Brown, defending, said Ahmed admitted breaching the order, but relations have improved to the extent they are able to still live under the same roof.

Mr Brown said: “The police had been called and he made an outburst towards his wife which they observed.

“He had ordered a kebab and had drank wine.

“He and his wife are looking at a legal separation.”

Ahmed was given a 12-month community order, must complete 25 days of rehabilitation activity requirements and keep to a curfew between 7pm and 7am for the next four weeks.

He was also ordered to pay £85 court costs and a £60 victim surcharge.