South Shields fairground worker's brutal attack on colleague while manning the waltzers

A fairground worker brutally attacked a colleague who was manning a ride he wanted to work on.
Daniel FutersDaniel Futers
Daniel Futers

Daniel Futers left his victim with a dislocated elbow as well as soreness, bruising, cuts and swellings to his nose, ear, legs, hands and fingers during an explosion of violence in South Shields in August 2014.Newcastle Crown Court heard the 38-year-old man had been working on the waltzer when Futers attacked him from behind and in a vicious assault involving fists and feet.Prosecutor Kevin Wardlaw told the court Futers claimed the attack was retaliation for an assault on him a few days before, which was rejected outright.Mr Wardlaw added: "The complainant could only assume that the reason for the assault was the defendant had asked to be moved from one fairground ride to another, the one the complainant worked on and that had caused ill feeling."The court heard the victim was working the waltzer when the 26-year-old attacker came up unexpectedly from behind.Mr Wardlaw said: "This was a sustained, repeated assault, the complainant described a number of blows, well into double figures."There was a weapon, the attack on him on the ground, with a shod foot."The court heard as a result of the violence, the victim needed ongoing treatment and needed time off work, which cost him financially.Futers, of Charles Street, Boldon Colliery, admitted causing grievous bodily harm.The court heard Futers was sectioned under the Mental Health Act after the attack and has been in a "form of custody" as a result.Judge Stephen Earl sentenced him to two years imprisonment, suspended for two years, with supervision, programme requirements and an order to pay £750 compensation.The judge said Futers' mental health condition played a "significant role" in the attack and told him: "You hit him from behind and then you continued in what can only be described as a sustained assault with punches about the face and head then when he went to the ground there was kicks."Judge Earl said the fact Futers has not been in any further trouble since the attack, almost two years, ago, he can be managed by professionals in the community to reduce any future risk.Gavin Doig, defending, said Futers accepts his future freedom is "in his own hands" and wants to avoid custody.