South Shields rapist jailed for 16 years after targeting second victim while on bail

A sex fiend raped a good Samaritan who came to his aid in a public park - while he was out on court bail for a similar attack on a schoolgirl at his home.

Tuesday, 24th July 2018, 3:36 pm
Updated Tuesday, 24th July 2018, 6:02 pm
Corey Nesbitt.

Corey Nesbitt had been charged with one rape after he brutally attacked a teenager at his home in March last year.The victim, who suffered injuries in the attack which she said has changed her life forever, reported her ordeal immediately and the 19-year-old rapist was charged by police and given court bail.Eight months later, Nesbitt lured a woman in her 20s to the West Park in South Shields, in the early hours of the morning by claiming he was about to kill himself.When the victim arrived, Nesbitt raped her twice, rammed his hat in her mouth to "shut her up" then threatened he would tie her up.She managed to escape by flagging down a passing taxi and also suffered injuries during the attack, which she said was the "most horrific" experience of her life.At Newcastle Crown Court Nesbitt, of St. Jude's Terrace, South Shields, pleaded guilty to three offences of rape and has now been jailed for 16 years, with a five year extended licence period.He also admitted burglary after breaking into the Coleman's Seafood Temple, on the town's seafront, and stealing alcohol within hours of the second attack.Judge Simon Batiste told him: "The circumstances of the offences are, frankly, very worrying."These are both violent rapes of girls who you lured to the scene where you committed them."I am satisfied, having considered all aspects of the case, that you pose a significant risk of harm occasioned by the commission of further specified sexual offences."Judge Batiste said Nesbitt, who must now sign the sex offenders register for life and abide by a restraining order to keep him away from the victims, must serve two thirds of the 16-year jail term before he is eligible for release.But the judge warned him: "You will not be automatically eligible for release at that stage, that will be a matter for the parole board."The court heard Nesbitt could serve the entire 16-year term if the parole board do not consider him safe to be back on the streets.Prosecutor Anne Richardson told the court Nesbitt, who was on a community order for an attempted robbery, had invited the first victim to his home in the early hours of the morning last March and paid for her taxi to get there.When the youngster spurned his advances as they watched a film, he attacked.Miss Richardson said: "She tried to push him off, to no avail. He slapped her face then covered her mouth with his hand."The court heard after the brutal ordeal Nesbitt walked his victim out of his home and abandoned her in a street in the early hours of the morning.She reported what had happened to her immediately and was examined by a doctor, who confirmed she had bruising to her arms, thighs and private parts.Nesbitt was arrested within hours and property belonging to the victim was found inside his home.He made no comment during interview.At the sentence hearing today, the brave teenager stood in the witness box and read her victim impact statement to the court, where Nesbitt appeared via video link to prison.Speaking through tears, she said: "It is hard not to picture that night, over and over again in my head."I feel sick when I look at myself in the mirror each morning.

"I don't recognise myself anymore."When I see myself in car reflections, on windows, in mirrors, I can picture myself, with my hands over my face, screaming at him to stop."I feel paralysed."When I am outside I feel like everyone is looking at me."I feel I will never, ever live a normal life again."I feel disgusting."The victim said she is now wary of men and is conscious of the way she dresses because of what Nesbitt did to her.She added: "I don't feel like (me) anymore."In November, while still on bail, Nesbitt lured a woman to the West Park during darkness using the "facade" he was about to kill himself.When she arrived, Nesbitt lured her to a secluded area away from the road.Miss Richardson told the court: "She tried to get away."She was pulled back down by the defendant, who placed one of his hands over her mouth."Miss Richardson said Nesbitt warned the woman to "shut up" when she screamed and threatened that the victim would be tied up, before she managed to get away.Miss Richardson added: "She was offering him friendship and support when he raped her."Police tracked down Nesbitt within hours, inside the seafront seafood restaurant, where he had caused over £1,000 damage to get in.The victim was examined by a doctor who confirmed she had bruises, abrasions and red marks to her body as well as injury to her private parts.In a victim statement she told police she has flashbacks and repeatedly relives that night, which she said was "the most horrific experience of my life".She added: "No sentence would be long enough to reflect the pain an suffering he has caused me."I am serving a life sentence, I feel like I will never put this behind me."Jane Foley, defending, said Nesbitt is a "very immature boy" who had been suffering from low mood, depression, some mental health problems and had drank far too much alcohol before the offences.Miss Foley added: "He has clearly devastated not just the complainants by virtue of his disgraceful behaviour but he has devastated his own life."He has completely changed the course of his life with the click of a finger and he is now facing spending the entire part of his youth in custody."Miss Foley said Nesbitt regrets what he did and has said, in his own words, it was "the worst thing that could happen" to the victims.

One of Nesbitt's attacks happened in West Park in South Shields.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Following Nesbitt’s sentencing, one of his victims said: “Although I am thankful that he did eventually plead guilty and did not make me go to court, he did not do this until the day of the trial.

“He still left me thinking I was going to have to stand in court and talk about the most horrific experience of my life in front of strangers and him.

“My whole life has been on hold since the incident.

"No sentence will be long enough to reflect the pain and hurt he has caused me.

Corey Nesbitt was sentenced earlier today at Newcastle Crown Court.

"Because of him, I am now serving a life sentence as I feel like I will never be able to put this behind me.”

Detective Constable Hayley McIntosh, of Northumbria Police, praised the bravery of the victims.

She said: “I am pleased to be stood here knowing that Nesbitt is now behind bars and is unable to carry out any further appalling acts of this kind.

“He is clearly a danger to society. He preyed on both of his victims, first earning their trust before subjecting them to horrific ordeals.

“Nesbitt must live with the consequences of his actions and know he has caused enormous hurt to his victims and their families.

“Although today’s sentence cannot take back what the victims have been put through, I hope it can bring some sort of justice. They have both shown incredible bravery throughout this investigation.

“I would encourage any victim of rape or sexual assault to look at this sentence and come forward.

"You will be taken seriously and will be offered the specialist support you need.”