South Tyneside duo crash out of cup

Both Jarrow and Harton & Westoe crashed out of the Wearside League Cup after dramatic, goal-laden games at the weekend.

Sunday, 7th February 2016, 1:07 pm
Updated Sunday, 7th February 2016, 1:14 pm
Jack Young puts Harton ahead against Silksworth

Jarrow were up against probably the best team in the league, Stockton Town, and gave them an almighty fright with a late comeback that ultimately proved to be in vain.

In the First Round clash, Stockton were leading 5-1 until Jarrow scored three times in four minutes right at the end.

Chris Stockton, with a hat-trick, Joe Scaife-Wheatley and Stephen Roberts appeared to have comfortably won the game for the Teessiders especially as by the 88th minute, Jarrow had replied only once through Andrew Wilkinson.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But substitute Brodie Simpson shook Stockton when he scored three goals in the dying minutes and in the end the home side were hanging on to a slender one-goal lead.

There was disappointment for Harton boss jason Jones after he saw his side throw away a lead to crash out in their preliminary round tie.

Silksworth CW scored five times in extra time to reach the first round of the cup as Harton fell apart in the latter stages.

Jack Young and Shaun Carroll had Harton and Westoe two goals up by the 49th minute but Silkworth, who before the game appointed Michael McVay and Willie Crew in temporary charge, roared back.

John Fortune and Stephen Moody levelled the scores and amazingly in extra time, Adam Storey rifled a hat-trick, Moody also struck while McVay celebrated his baptism by also finding the net to complete a 7-2 victory.

Boldon CA were on league duty but they struggled to match Spennymoor Town Reserves.

Spenny remain in the top six after they won by a 3-1 margin against Boldon at Coxhoe.

Two goals in as many minutes from Ross Morrow and Matthew Pennall had them comfortably ahead at the break and when Robert Thompson cleverly back-heeled a cross from Ryan Cummings after 53 minutes, it was all over for the South Tynesiders.

Boldon did manage a late consolation strike as Frankie Hucks converted a penalty after a scramble in the box.