Hebburn Town punished by Brandon United for not taking their chances

Hebburn Town let victory slip through their fingers when the led at Brandon United, only for their lowly opponents to rally and clinch the points.

By The Newsroom
Monday, 27th March 2017, 12:52 pm

From the off, Hebburn immediately took the initiative with some good football, and almost took an early lead when after some fine passing, involving Alan Pegram and Channon North.

An Iain Bickerstaff drive from outside the box screamed just passed the upright, and for the next 15 minutes, Hebburn continued to retain much of the possession and there was little threat from Brandon at this stage.

Town’s pressure paid off with an excellent goal following good interplay between Channon North and Jason Blackburn.

Chris Feasey, calmly and composed, curled the ball into the top corner of the net from the edge of the box.

Hebburn continued to press, and North should have done better when he met a great ball from Callum Smith, but headed narrowly over the cross bar.

Callum Smith then brought a tremendous top drawer save from the home keeper, who flung himself to his right to turn the ball over the top.

At this stage, Brandon’s attacks had been based on long balls to their front men, which the Hebburn back four had handled well, but in the 35th minute this tactic paid off when a disastrous mix up between keeper Steve Hubery and centre back Kris Summers presented Brandon with a simple equaliser.

This really was a game changer, as until then Hebburn had looked relatively comfortable.

Still as half time approached, first Callum Smith blasted the ball wide and high and then Jason Blackburn was narrowly wide with a header, when they both could have scored and in the final move of the half, Craig Malley got to the byline and struck a great ball across the six yard box, but no one managed to get on the end of it.

Immediately after the break, Hubery was called into action to make a good stop, however after 10 minutes of the half he was beaten to a cross by Fingleton, when he looked favourite to collect, and the header gave Brandon a 2-1 lead.

This appeared to knock the Hebburn team and from this point their play dipped, although Blackburn should have scored on the hour when he decided to take an extra touch.

Hebburn brought on all three substitutes, but they hardly threatened the home goal, and Brandon should have extended their lead when one of their forwards fell over the ball with only Hubery to beat.

The closest Hebburn came in the final minutes saw Chris Smith head just past the post from a corner.