This is Mike Ashley's response to Newcastle United takeover claim

Mike Ashley met would-be Newcastle United owner Alejandro Irarragorri for talks – but a takeover isn’t any closer to happening.

Monday, 11th November 2019, 2:36 pm
Updated Monday, 11th November 2019, 2:37 pm

It was claimed today that Irarragorri, a Mexican entrepreneur, was “confident” about the prospects of a buyout.

United owner Ashley met Irarragorri – whose Orlegi group owns Mexican club Santos Laguna – in London last month. However, the two sides are NOT understood to be close to a deal, and Ashley, dismissive of Peter Kenyon’s attempts to buy the club earlier this year, is not convinced that any of the interested parties can finance a takeover.

Ashley – who values the Premier League club at around £300million – said there were “no offers” for the club in July.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mike Ashley.
Mike Ashley.

“I have to assume I will stay running this club,” said Ashley. “There are no offers. I'm not a believer any more. Peter Kenyon convinced me last Christmas that it was going to get done. I'm never doing that again.”