Newcastle United 'name terms' for surprise transfer
Dwight Gayle is available for £15million in January’s transfer window, according to a report.
Steve Bruce last week claimed that he “didn’t want to lose” Gayle, who spent last season on loan at West Bromwich Albion. Speaking to the Gazette, United’s head coach said: “I can't see him leaving in January, no.”
Bruce revealed when he took over at Newcastle in the summer that he had tried to sign the striker three times previously in his managerial career. He added: “I made it plain in the summer that I don't want to lose Dwight Gayle. Unfortunately, he's been injured up until the last month.
“I see him at the moment knocking on the door because the more he's training, and he's got an infectious enthusiasm about him on the training ground, so I don't want to lose him, that's for sure.”
However, Gayle – who has only played 45 minutes of Premier League football so far this season – could yet leave the club in the January window, according to the Daily Telegraph.
West Brom reportedly want to re-sign Gayle, while Nottingham Forest and Leeds United are also said to be interested in the 29-year-old, who is out contract in 2021.
Gayle is one of Newcastle’s highest-earners, having signed an improved contract last year before moving to The Hawthorns, and his wages will put off many Championship clubs.
The Telegraph report claims that another loan move would not be sanctioned by the club.
Newcastle turned down a £15million bid for Gayle from Fulham two years ago.
Gayle, signed from Crystal Palace in the summer of 2016, missed the start of the season with a calf injury. He came off the bench in Saturday’s 2-2 draw against Manchester City at St James’s Park.
Bruce, preparing his team for Thursday night's Premier League game against Sheffield United at Bramall Lane, is likely to give Dwight a start in the coming weeks as he looks to keep his team fresh through the Christmas and New Year fixtures.