Anti-Saudi takeover Richard Keys has been talking about Newcastle United – AGAIN!

Newcastle United and their potential new Saudi Arabian majority shareholders seem to be living in banished former Sky Sports presenter Richard Keys’ head.

Sunday, 26th April 2020, 8:00 am
Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman speaks to Russian President during the talks in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on October 14, 2019. (Photo by Alexander Zemlianichenko / POOL / AFP) (Photo by ALEXANDER ZEMLIANICHENKO/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Keys, now of Qatar’s BeIN Sports, has been an open critic of the PIF, Reuben Brothers and PCP Capital Partners takeover in recent days, continuing his seemingly anti-Newcastle United narrative.

Earlier this week Keys said: “‘I wish that it wasn’t Newcastle United that the Saudis want to buy.”

And now the veteran presenter, whose company have written a letter objecting to the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia-financed £300million deal on the grounds of piracy issues, has again taken to Twitter to deny he has an agenda against the Magpies.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“We seem to be gaining a bit of traction here. This is NOT anti-Newcastle,” he said.

“It matters because if theft of sports rights becomes the norm – sport as we know it dies. Intellectual rights become worthless.”