Celtic-linked boss 'waiting' on Newcastle United offer, Andros Townsend tipped for shock Magpies return

Newcastle United took a big step towards Premier League safety on Sunday afternoon following a 2-1 win at Burnley.

Monday, 12th April 2021, 11:00 am

Allan Saint-Maximin’s sensational impact, which saw the Frenchman provide and score one to flip the game on its head, won it for Steve Bruce’s men.

But while the Magpies celebrated a big victory at Turf Moor, there was plenty of other news and gossip surrounding the club.

Here’s a round-up of the latest:

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Eddie Howe pictured next to Newcastle United head coach Steve Bruce. (Photo by Peter Cziborra/Pool via Getty Images)

Eddie Howe ‘waiting’ on Newcastle offer says pundit

Eddie Howe is stalling over the Celtic job in case the managerial vacancy comes up at Newcastle.

That’s according to former England defender Danny Mills, who believes the former Bournemouth is assessing all options before making a concrete decision.

There was a strong suggestion the 43-year-old was in line to take over at Parkhead, however his representatives insisted no decision will be made until the summer.

“He may be just waiting to see what other jobs he gets offered,” Mills told Football Insider. “He might be thinking ‘If Newcastle stay up, does the Newcastle job become available? Is that on offer?’

“That’s a big club, new owners potentially and a big budget. Only Eddie Howe will know what he wants to do next, unfortunately.”

Andros Townsend tipped for Newcastle return

Former Premier League striker Marcus Bent has backed Andros Townsend to return to St James’s Park next season.

Townsend, who spent six months on Tyneside in 2016 before joining Crystal Palace after relegation to the Championship, is out of contract this summer.

And according to Bent, a move back to the North East would be “refreshing” for the 29-year-old former Tottenham Hotspur winger.

He told Football FanCast: “He’s a good squad player, he works hard. When he was at Tottenham he did really well, he was borderline England squad. He’s quick, fast, but never really seemed to lift off anywhere, it never really seemed to happen.

“There are rumours that he might be going to Newcastle. I think Newcastle could be a good refreshment for him. Sometimes you need a change, but he’s a good squad player.

“He’s mature enough, wise enough and knows a lot about the game, but being out of contract he could go on a free.”

Celtic remains in talks with Kyle Joseph

Celtic reportedly remain in talks with Wigan Athletic striker Kyle Joseph, despite reports of Newcastle hijacking a move.

The Daily Mail claimed last week that the Magpies had jumped ahead of the Scottish giants and were viewed as strong favourites to seal his signature.

Joseph, 19, is out of contract at the DW Stadium this summer and isn’t short of interest having burst onto the scene in League One.

As per Football Insider, the managerless Hoops have not given up hope of signing the Scotland under-19s international, who is also on the radar of Tottenham and Rangers.

Celtic would benefit from cross-border rules. They would be required to pay just £300,000 in compensation, while Newcastle would need to fork out closer to £1million.

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor