Death threats to Newcastle United takeover-linked businessman denied by high-ranking politician

A controversial Mexican politician has denied threatening to kill a businessman linked with a recent takeover of Newcastle United.

Tuesday, 10th December 2019, 5:12 pm
Updated Tuesday, 10th December 2019, 5:14 pm
TORREON, MEXICO - JANUARY 27: Jose Luis Higuera (L) and Alejandro Irarragorri talk prior the 4th round match between Santos Laguna and Chivas as part of the Torneo Clausura 2019 Liga MX at Corona Stadium on January 27, 2019 in Torreon, Mexico. (Photo by Manuel Guadarrama/Getty Images)
TORREON, MEXICO - JANUARY 27: Jose Luis Higuera (L) and Alejandro Irarragorri talk prior the 4th round match between Santos Laguna and Chivas as part of the Torneo Clausura 2019 Liga MX at Corona Stadium on January 27, 2019 in Torreon, Mexico. (Photo by Manuel Guadarrama/Getty Images)

Fidel Kuri Grajales, a Mexican businessman, Institutional Revolutionary Party politician and owner of an MX League football franchise, has revealed he DID NOT make death threats to Santos Laguna owner Alejandro Irarragorri, of the Orlegi Sports Group.

Denying the accusations to ESPN, Kuri Grajales said: “No (threats to Irarragorri), the traps they were made between him and a player's agent.”

Kuri Grajales claims contadictions in the complaints make it impossible.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He continued: “How can it be that the complaint and threats are made in April, and in the FMF (The Mexican Football Federation) letter it says that it was in August. Was it in April or in August?”

In Autumn the Orlegi Sports Group and Alejandro Irarragorri were linked with a takeover of United, with Mike Ashley reportedly keen to sell his 100% stake in the club.

According to reports last month, Irarragorri was ‘confident’ of sealing a deal to takeover Newcastle United – according to reports.

The Athletic claimed that the Mexican group met with Ashley in October in London, while those talks appeared to have come to nothing, the Mexicans “remain very much in contention and have even expressed confidence over their chances” of clinching a takeover.

Indeed, they claim that the group are ‘serious bidders’, with the deal in the hands of their acquisition team for ‘fine-tuning’.

Irarragorri shunned the opportunity to purchase Crystal Palace earlier this year.