Lewis is set to miss out on a place in Newcastle United’s 25-man Premier League squad following the deadline day arrival of Matt Targett.
Eddie Howe must cut three players from the relegation-threatened club’s squad following the club’s January business. Newcastle, 18th in the Premier League table, signed five players in total last month at a cost of more than £80million.
Lewis reportedly turned down a loan move to Birmingham City ahead of Monday night’s transfer deadline, but he could yet move to a country which has an open window. One such country is Turkey, where the transfer window closes on February 8, and Trabzonspor are interested in the left-back, according to the Express.
Brendan Rodgers reveals he talked Swansea City defender out of move to Newcastle United whilst on Mount Kilimanjaro
Sunderland suffer major injury blow
Newcastle United transfer news: Chelsea ‘considering second bid’ for Newcastle target, Southampton forward ‘top’ of Everton wanted list
Newcastle United transfer target confirms move ahead of official announcement
Sergio Aguero backs 'difficult' Newcastle United, Aston Villa and Brighton to ‘fight’ for Europe
Howe said last week that any players set to miss out on squad places would be given the “opportunity” to go out on loan.
United’s head coach said: “Obviously, I’d never leave a player in a position where they couldn’t play for us, and they’re not given the opportunity of going out on loan.
"I don’t think that’s right. We’ll try and be fair to everybody, and let them know where they stand.”
Lewis, signed from Norwich City in the summer of 2020 for £15million, recently recovered from the hamstring injury he suffered against Liverpool at Anfield last month.
Ciaran Clark, 32, could also miss out on a place in Newcastle’s squad following the arrival of left-footed centre-half Dan Burn. The club must submit it’s squad for the second half of the season this week ahead of the February 8 home game against Everton.