Jose Mourinho drops hint on his future amid Newcastle United link
Jose Mourinho has spoken about getting back into work – after being linked with Newcastle United.
Mourinho, sacked as Manchester United manager last December, is considering his options.
The 56-year-old – who started out as an interpreter for the late Sir Bobby Robson – was linked with the Newcastle job earlier this month, with his long-time managerial rival Rafa Benitez out of contract at St James’s Park on June 30.
Mourinho, it was claimed, was “ready to talk” to the Bin Zayed Group, which claims it has agreed a £350million takeover of the club.
The Portuguese, however, has hinted that he’s keen to move into international management.
“I want to compete in new competitions,” Mourinho told Eleven Sports. “I think about the World Cup and the European Championships. For a long time, I have had the desire to try out such an adventure. Right now, I see myself more at a national team than with a new club. Is Portugal the right team for me? Not necessarily.”
Mourinho – who won the Premier League three times with Chelsea and the Champions League with two different clubs – says he would need to be “convinced” by any job proposal.
“Winning a fifth championship in a different country, or the Champions League with a third club, are things I’d like to do,” said Mourinho
“I wouldn’t do it just for that. I only go where a project convinces me. I want to be happy, not necessarily win. I want to be happy.”