Newcastle United boss Steve Bruce reveals Jack Colback agony after FA Cup selection admission

Jack Colback was set for a controversial Newcastle United farewell in the FA Cup but for injury, which has brought to an end his St James's Park career.

Friday, 3rd January 2020, 10:30 pm
NANJING, CHINA - JULY 17: Jack Colback (R) of Newcastle United in action with Jonny Otto of Wolverhampton Wanderers during the Premier League Asia Trophy 2019 match between Newcastle United and Wolverhampton Wanderers at Olympic Sports Center Stadium on July 17, 2019 in Nanjing, China. (Photo by Lintao Zhang/Getty Images for Premier League)

Steve Bruce was all set to name Colback in his 25-man Premier League squad, but the signings of Andy Carroll and Emil Krafth on the final day of the summer transfer window edged the former Sunderland man out.

Despite this, Colback is eligible for selection in the FA Cup – and Bruce has revealed he would have selected Colback at Rochdale, but for the player suffering a near season-ending injury in training last week.

“He would have had a chance, yes,” said Bruce.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“He trained and slipped and fell into Isaac's (Isaac Hayden) chest. He damaged his medial ligament. Poor kid. He is in a brace for six to eight weeks.

“Jack would have been involved.”

Colback’s involvement was set to come ahead of fellow former Black Cats midfielder Ki Sung-yeung, who has been told he has no future at the football club beyond this month.

Fellow outcasts Henri Saivet and Jamie Sterry are set to be shunned at Spotland, despite Bruce’s willingness to get Colback into the action.

With Jonjo Shelvey out for at least a fortnight and Hayden likely to be drafted into the United backline, Bruce looks set to pick both Sean and Matty Longstaff together in midfield for the first time since Boxing Day's 4-1 loss at Old Trafford.