Newcastle United gossip: Mike Ashley 'delighted' by £300m takeover developments surrounding Bin Salman and Boris Johnson

Newcastle United face West Ham United in the Premier League this weekend.

Thursday, 15th April 2021, 3:56 pm

And there are fresh hopes that there could be up to 10,000 fans inside St James’s Park for the Newcastle United v Sheffield United match next month.

The takeover agenda, however, has come bursting back to the forefront of the news agenda surrounding the Magpies in the past 48 hours with some interesting reports swirling around the internet.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mike Ashley, owner of Newcastle United, looks on during the Premier League match between Newcastle United and Leicester City at St. James Park on September 29, 2018 in Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom.

Here, we take you through anything you may have missed this afternoon in our daily news round-up:

This is why Mike Ashley is ‘delighted’ by the latest developments around Newcastle United

Mike Ashley is said to be ‘delighted’ by the latest developments following a failed takeover of Newcastle United.

Reports have suggested that Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman has asked Prime Minister Boris Johnson to intervene in the proposed sale of the club.

The PA news agency has stated that Ashley is privately delighted by both the Daily Mail report that Bin Salman urged the British Government to help remove stumbling bocks in the £300million-plus takeover.

The emergence of emails between Government departments and the Premier League as it carried out its owners’ and directors’ tests last summer is also apparently pleased the Sports Direct owner.

What are other news outlets proposing about the £300m Saudi-backed takeover of Newcastle United?

The Guardian state that bin Salman warned Boris Johnson in a text message that UK-Saudi Arabian relations would be damaged.

The report states that if the British government failed to intervene to “correct” the Premier League’s “wrong” decision not to allow a £300m takeover of Newcastle United last year relations between the two countries take a blow.

Back in August, Johnson wrote to members of the Newcastle United Supporters Trust.

“I appreciate many Newcastle fans were hoping this takeover bid would go ahead and can understand their sense of disappointment," the Prime Minister said.

"I have seen the recent email sent to Newcastle fans from the Independent Football Ombudsman and agree with their conclusion that the Premier League should make a statement on this case.”

A message from the Football Clubs Editor

Our aim is to provide you with the best, most up-to-date and most informative Newcastle United coverage 365 days a year.

This depth of coverage costs, so to help us maintain the high-quality reporting that you are used to, please consider taking out a subscription; sign up here.

Your support is much appreciated. Richard Mennear, Football Clubs Editor