Newcastle United 'in talks' for reported Real Madrid & Barcelona target who is 'allowed to leave'

Newcastle United’s new Saudi owners want to make Ajax and Netherlands midfielder Donny van de Beek their first marquee signing.

Saturday, 9th May 2020, 4:45 pm
Ajax Dutch midfielder Donny van de Beek holds the ball during the Dutch Eredivisie match between Ajax Amsterdam and AZ Alkmaar at the Johan Cruijff Arena, in Alkmaar on March 1, 2020. (Photo by Maurice van STEEN / various sources / AFP) / Netherlands OUT (Photo by MAURICE VAN STEEN/ANP/AFP via Getty Images)

Reports on the continent suggest the Magpies are in contact with the 23-year-old in hope of beating the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid to the in-demand player.

And, according to Ajax chief executive Edwin van der Sar, Van de Beek will be allowed to leave Amsterdam when the transfer window reopens – but will not be allowed to leave on the cheap.

"Last year, we made verbal agreements with [Andre] Onana, [Nicolas] Tagliafico and Van de Beek to stay another season, and then we look to help each other and find the next step in their careers. Nothing has changed," said Van der Sar.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"There won't be a 50 per cent discount. The clubs can forget about that."

Van de Beek, also courted by Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur, played a key role in Ajax reaching the Champions League semi-finals last season.

And Italian journalist Nicolo Schira claims that United chairman-in-waiting Yasir Al-Rumayyan ‘dreams’ of signing Van de Beek at St James’s Park.

He also reports that talks are ongoing between Newcastle and the Ajax man’s agent, while Real Madrid wait in the wings.

The fate of United’s takeover remains in the hands of the Premier League, but the buyers side of the deal think a decision should be reached next week.

The Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia are set to take an 80% stake in United, with Reuben Brothers and PCP Capital Partners splitting the remaining 20%.